Boston Property Management: Take care of Mold
Mold can have a huge effect on your health and safety if you don’t take care of it. If you ever see any mold in your place you need to take care of it. Here is how you can detect, remove and prevent mold.
1. Identify source
Moisture can come from leaky pipes, roof damage, poor ventilation, condensation, poorly sealed windows/doors, and foundation cracks.
Make sure that your basement, attic, bathroom and cold storage room are in good shape, as these are the places you can experience moisture problems.
2. Look for visible signs of mold
If you never notice the following signs at your home, you know you have mold:
- Wallpaper/paint starts bubbling
- Musty, damp or earthy odors at home
- Flooring is warped
- Walls have condensation
- Spots on the wall/Discoloration/Water stains
3. Boston Property Management: Mold Test
You can get DIY mold test kit to see if there is any mold at home. However it would be a better idea to get professionals to do this for you. Any mistake and it can prove fatal for your health. A mold test helps to find out what sort of mold you have to deal with and its level of concentration. It will also let you know whether this is a toxic species or a less harmful one.
4. Pay attention to your health
Those people who have been exposed to mold will experience these symptoms. If it goes unchecked it can lead to fatalities.
- Irritation in the eye, nose and throat
- Allergies/Asthma getting worse
- Difficulty breathing
Just because you don’t get suffer from any of these symptoms, does not mean that you are in good health. It means that you probably haven’t been exposed to it for a longer period or your sensitivity levels are stronger.
5. Getting rid of mold the natural way
Baking Soda can help prevent mold growth because it absorbs moisture. Do not use bleach as it is can be harmful for your health. It won’t do anything to remove the mold.
6. Call a Professional
Call a professional to deal with the mold as this is not an ordinary task. If you have a small mold problem, you can do it yourself. In the event that it is a huge problem, you will need a professional. A professional will be able to use proper equipment to get rid of the mold and dispose of the contaminated material.
7. Control Moisture
Once you have gotten rid of the mold, you need to control the moisture levels at home. If you take the following steps, you won’t have any mold issues at home.
- Open windows and doors regularly for good ventilation
- Use a dehumidifier if there is the need
- Seal cracks in the foundation
- Fix all leaky pipes
- Turn on the exhaust fans when you are showering or cooking
- Clean your gutters so that the water can go through
We hope you liked our guide “Boston Property Management: Take care of Mold”.