MA Property Management: Home Hazards

MA Property Management

MA Property Management: Home Hazards

A lot of people feel safe in their own homes but then safety at home depends on a number of factors. There are several hazards at home which can lead to problems. Here are 11 of the most common hazards that homeowners are likely to encounter.


Deadly lead

Lead paint can be quite dangerous for your health. There were a number of homes built before 1980 which may contain lead paint. There are a number of tests which can be conducted to make sure your home is free from lead paint. The good thing is that there are certified professionals who can remove lead paint.

Indoor air quality

If there is bad quality indoor air, it can increase the chances of allergies and asthma attacks. A good idea is to opt for laminate or hardwood flooring, instead of carpets. Carpets are a bad idea because they retain a lot of dust. Another method is to use a proper air filtration system to help control allergens. If you want to try a safer solution, opt for houseplants.

Radon watch

Radon is a radioactive gas which can give you lung cancer. Make sure that all cracks in your foundation are sealed so that you can reduce the risks.

Rising water

If you live in a flood prone area, then you can be affected by rising water in the house. It’s a good idea to get a sump pump so that you can deal with excess water in the event of flooding in the house. The other ways water can flood your basement is if there is a broken pipe or excess snow melting.


Termite damage can ruin the wood inside your house. They love damp wood as they can thrive on that. So it’s a good idea to take care of indoor leaks as soon as they happen. Make sure that you don’t store your firewood near your house’s foundation as this will also attract them. Another way to prevent infestation is to hire a professional to take care of termites.

MA Property Management: Electrical fires

Replace all the old wiring with new wires in the house. Faulty wiring is responsible for fires in the house. If the wiring is replaced then the chances of a fire are low. It also helps to install an Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).

Carbon monoxide

A CO detector can help you detect the presence of carbon monoxide in your house. Make sure that you don’t use a grill in an unventilated place. It also helps to ventilate furnaces, ovens, water heaters and dryers so there is no CO buildup.


Asbestos can still be found in older generation houses. It is not a health risk if it’s not damaged. The best solution is to get a professional to remove it.


Mold is quite hazardous for your health and should be removed as quickly as possible. The best way to prevent mold is to keep the moisture levels low and to dry any standing water.

We hope you liked our guide “MA Property Management: Home Hazards “.





This entry was posted in Massachusetts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>